Phonics / Letters & Sounds
Letters & Sounds is a collection of material that we use to prepare children to learn to read and spell.
It helps develop children’s speaking and Listening skills by teaching them to discriminate between lots of different sounds.
– At nursery we teach children to listen carefully and talk about all the sounds they hear around them.
– Then the children learn the names and sounds of lots of different musical instruments.
– Next we use our bodies to make different sounds like singing action songs, patting our knees and stamping our feet.
– When we are really good at talking about the sounds we hear we learn about rhyming words and words that all start with the same letter i.e. Busy Bees and Silly Socks.
– Before we start at school we will learn to make lots of different sounds with our voices and then begin to blend sounds to help us learn to read and segment them to help us spell.
How you can help at home-
• Encourage your child to listen really carefully and tell you what they can hear.
• Join in with your child and recreate the sounds you hear-try using your voice, body or musical instruments!
•Sing songs and rhymes with your children.
We will give you some ideas and props.